Do you have a question about Coaching?
If you are relatively new to the idea of coaching you will find below, some common questions that I get asked about coaching. If you cannot find the answer to your question please don’t hesitate to get in touch and I will endeavour to answer it.
- The benefits of having a coach are always talked about in the sports world. Sport stars are quick to praise their coaches publicly and celebrate the fact that their coaches are behind their success and achievements.
However, if you have not directly experienced the benefits of working with coach you might be wondering what a personal or business coach does and how coaching works.
The term “coaching” literally comes from an old Anglo-Saxon word for a carriage, which is a mode of transport that takes you on a journey from where you are now to where you want to be.
So that in the same way coaching is a way to help you move from where you are now in your life to where you want to be. Coaching is a highly structured change process that delivers results. The International Coach Federation (ICF) — the leading global coaching organisation and professional association for coaches — defines coaching as “partnering with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential.”
Through the process of coaching a personal or a business coach will assist you in identifying what is important to you; what you want in your life or your business; what is in the way getting what you want, and hold you accountable for taking actions to achieve what you want. Your personal coach ultimately supports you in getting the results that you want in your life.
There are certain things that Coaching is not. Coaching is not consulting or mentoring where industry knowledge or experience is given to the client. Coaching is not about telling you what to do.
Coaching is also not therapy or counselling which generally examines a client’s past. Coaching is about stating where you are today, declaring where you want to be in the future and crucially about identifying actions to take to get there.
- Anyone who is serious about taking action to make transformational changes in their lives- in whatever area: personal, professional, business etc
Coaching is specifically for individuals who:
- Have a desire for self-direction and control in life.
- Want to get better and achieve results in different areas in their life.
- Want to connect with their purpose in life.
- Coaching can be transactional where the behaviour changes or transformational, where the habits of thinking are changed. Over time small changes in how you think leads ultimately to profound change. Whether as an individual, a business or a team, coaching will raise personal levels of awareness, which in turn leads to greater personal accountability and responsibility in life whether in a business, team or personal capacity.
- Our clients, whether individuals, companies or teams usually share the following characteristics:
- High standards of excellence – you want to get better at what you do
- Willng to invest in yourself and/or your business – this is the best investment you can make.
- Willing to trust the process – let go of judgement and promise to do what is asked of you by your coach
- Committed to making change – persistent and willing to try many things to get results
- Willing to be authentic and honest – this is where your power lies
- Coachable – you know that having a coach will be the support you need to get the results you want
If you fit the profile above then a Best Year Yet programme or any of our other coaching programmes will enable you to produce extraordinary results for yourself and your business.
- Coaching used to be a euphemism for, “you’re doing poorly at work, but we can’t sack you so we need to find what we can do with you.” Not any longer. According to Paul Michelman, editor of Harvard Business School’s Management Update, “Whereas coaching was once viewed by many as a tool to help correct underperformance, today it is becoming much more widely used in supporting top producers. In fact, in a 2004 survey by Right Management Consultants, 86 percent of companies said they used coaching to sharpen the skills of individuals who have been identified as future organizational leaders.”
The ROI from business coaching is even more astonishing. According to a Manchester Consulting Group study of Fortune 100 executives, the Economic Times reports “coaching resulted in a ROI of almost six times the program cost as well as a 77% improvement in relationships, 67% improvement in teamwork, 61% improvement in job satisfaction and 48% improvement in quality.” Additionally, a study of Fortune 500 telecommunications companies by MatrixGlobal found executive coaching resulted in a 529% ROI.
Personal and business coaching is a high-leverage activity. You can achieve remarkable progress toward your declared future in less than an hour per month of coaching. As your coach I will either meet you face to face in your office, or very often I will recommend a telephone session which can be easier with fewer distractions, better privacy and greater efficiency. The number of coaching sessions you will have per month will vary depending on what you are working on however usually we will have between 2-3 sessions a month of between 30-55 minutes a session. This is a tiny amount of time in invest compared to the results you will achieve.
It is a belief, assumption, mindset or perception about yourself, someone else or a situation
It is a belief, assumption, mindset or perception about yourself, someone else or a situation that limits you or stops you from having the results that you desire in life.