10 Tips To Help You Live A Life Of Passion
I believe that passion has become rather one dimensional in our lives, with the focus only on sexual desire. What a shame. Passion is actually gloriously multi-dimensional, expressing powerful and compelling feelings or emotions and bringing life into vivid Technicolor.
Living our lives with passion though is not how most of us choose to live. Most of us go through life wishing we were somewhere else, doing something else or living somehow differently. When was the last time in your life that you truly felt the blood pumping in your veins, your heart uplifted and experienced being totally in the moment?
But “passion can be dangerous” you say. Goodness, who knows where living passionately will lead us! How much easier to play safe and stay in our comfort zone, dulling the emotions and flattening our life experience.
For the brave who choose to take the path to a passionate life, the journey takes time and is undoubtedly challenging. If you are up for the adventure the rewards are profound. Whilst the destination will vary the features are the same: a life lived with passion is one filled with joy, enthusiasm, simplicity, a sense of purpose, energy and feeling of being connected to yourself.
Choosing to live your life with passion starts with shifting your mind-set. It requires deciding that living a life with passion is a goal worth pursuing. Apathy and lassitude are prevailing forces in our culture, so learning to live a passionate life requires discipline and commitment to overcome these tendencies.
To pledge to a passionate life requires overcoming a lack of belief that is it possible to do so. It requires giving up closed or negative thinking that can keep us stuck. It requires focus, responsibility and the requirement to simplify life. No one can be passionate if they are feeling cluttered, overscheduled and overwhelmed in life. Being passionate by definition means to experience powerful emotions. It is not possible to live a passionate life if you are emotionally unhealthy e.g. depressed, anxious, stressed etc.
Passion in life starts with having a vision, goal or desire that inspires you, helping you to move towards what you want to be, do or have. As with changing any old ways of thinking and behaving living life with passion takes time and is testing. Being willing to keep going no matter what is one of the keys to living a life you love.
How can you live a life with passion?
1) Take time – you can’t make changes in life unless you make time to reflect.
2) Change how you see yourself – consider who would you have to be to live the life you want?
3) Believe in yourself – you are the creator of your life. You are 100% responsible. You can make it happen.
4) Speak from the heart – dare to be honest with yourself and then with others.
5) BWTEIM (begin with the end in mind) – create a clear vision of what you really want your life to look like and stick your flag in the sand in front of you. Now you have a destination.
6) Face your fear – look it square in the eyes and take the first step anyway.
7) Shut out the self-chatter – be an observer and don’t get enrolled in your mental noise. Keep focused on vision.
8) Write it down – get it out of your head and onto paper in words or pictures. This helps clarify our thinking and makes it real.
9) Look for fun – we miss so many amazing things in life by being so busy, keep an eye out for what brings you joy and happiness.
10) Keep going – learning and growth happens in your breakdowns. Have courage, be committed be curious.
One really good coaching question I like to ask clients who may be stuck looking for their purpose and passion is to ask them:
“What would you be doing if you only had a short time to live and/or money was no object?”
I ask this to you now. I would love to hear in the comments below what are you passionate about?